On 25 March 2022, the Chinese Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs (MARA) published its notice No. 542 announcing final registration data requirements for herbicides used on genetically modified crops. The notice takes into effect immediately. This means that China will soon permit the planting of major GM varieties of major feed or food crops.
According to the notice, the following data is required.
- Regular product chemistry data as listed in 3.1.1 data requirements for pesticide registration
- Product composition
- Benefit analysis including analysis of alternative product and economic benefit analysis.
- Indoor crop safety tests, including at least 3 varieties.
- Crop metabolism study;
- Animal metabolism study; This study is only required if there are new metabolites found in feed parts in GM crops when compared to non-GM crops. This study is not required for non-feed crops.
- Information on residue storage stability and residue data in processed commodities. Literature data also accepted.
Supplement environmental effect data according to data requirements on pesticide registration.
This notice also encourages joint generation of all data needed for the registration of pesticides on GM crops. China Crop Protection Industry Association (CCPIA) is already organizing industries to prepare for this new requirement.