The first webinar in this series will delve into the important aspects of the Cosmetic Ingredients Database (CosIng) and the International Nomenclature of Cosmetic Ingredients (INCI) lists. We will explore how these lists function, their significance in cosmetics formulation, and how to effectively navigate them. By the end of this webinar, you will have a solid understanding of the CosIng and the INCI, empowering you to create safe and compliant cosmetic products.
The second webinar will explore the crucial topic of packaging requirements for cosmetic products. Packaging plays a vital role in maintaining product integrity, ensuring consumer safety, and complying with regulatory guidelines. By the end of this webinar, you will have a comprehensive understanding of the key considerations and best practices for selecting appropriate packaging materials, design, and labeling.
The third webinar will focus on the critical areas of stability testing, microbiological testing, and Period After Opening (PAO) determination. These aspects are essential for ensuring the quality, safety, and longevity of cosmetic products. By the end of this webinar, you will have a comprehensive understanding of the testing procedures, industry standards, and best practices related to stability testing, microbiological testing, and PAO determination.
Time (GMT +1)
June 27, 2023
Understanding the CosIng and the INCI List: Essential Knowledge for Cosmetics Formulation.
July 4, 2023
Packaging Requirements: Ensuring Safety and Compliance in Cosmetics.
July 20, 2023
Stability, Microbiological Testing, and PAO Determination: Ensuring Product Quality and Safety.
June 27 – Understanding the CosIng and the INCI List: Essential Knowledge for Cosmetics Formulation
- Overview of the CosIng – including its definition and purpose, its role in cosmetics regulation and safety assessments, accessing and utilizing the CosIng database and an Introduction to the INCI List.
- What is the INCI list and why is it important? – understanding the structure and format of INCI names and key considerations when interpreting and selecting INCI names.
- INCI naming guidelines – including rules and conventions for assigning INCI names, exceptions and special cases in INCI nomenclature, and tips for accurately naming cosmetic ingredients.
- INCI labeling requirements – legal obligations for labeling cosmetic products with INCI names, INCI labeling formats and best practices, and addressing challenges and common mistakes in INCI labelling.
- Practical applications – case studies demonstrating the application of the CosIng and the INCI lists, and evaluating ingredient safety using the CosIng information.
July 4 – Packaging Requirements: Ensuring Safety and Compliance in Cosmetics
- The importance of packaging in cosmetics – including the role of packaging in product protection, preservation, and functionality; regulatory and safety aspects related to packaging; and the impact of packaging on consumer perception and brand image.
- Packaging material selection – evaluating different packaging materials (i.e. plastics, glass, and metals), compatibility testing between product and packaging materials, and sustainability and environmental considerations in packaging choices.
- Packaging design and functionality – design elements for effective product dispensing and usage, ergonomics and user-friendliness in packaging design, and innovations and trends in cosmetic packaging.
- Labeling requirements – legal obligations for labeling on cosmetic packaging, mandatory labeling elements (including ingredients, warnings, and batch codes) - font size, visibility, and readability guidelines for labeling.
- Testing and validation – testing packaging integrity and compatibility, stability and shelf-life considerations for packaging materials, and quality control measures for packaging and labeling processes.
July 11 – Stability, Microbiological Testing, and PAO Determination: Ensuring Product Quality and Safety
- Importance of stability testing – understanding the significance of stability testing in cosmetics, factors affecting product stability (including light, temperature, and humidity), and designing stability protocols and conducting accelerated stability testing.
- Microbiological testing – microbial contamination risks in cosmetics, microbiological testing methods and procedures, and interpreting and evaluating test results for microbial safety.
- Preservatives and antimicrobial agents – the role of preservatives in preventing microbial growth, commonly used preservatives and their efficacy, and regulatory considerations and restrictions on preservative use.
- Period After Opening (PAO) determination – definition and importance of PAO in cosmetic products, factors influencing PAO determination (including product formulation, and packaging), and calculating and labeling PAO information on product packaging.
- Stability and microbiological challenges – addressing stability issues (including oxidation, and phase separation), troubleshooting microbiological challenges and contamination, and implementing corrective actions and preventive measures.
- Compliance and regulatory considerations – regulatory guidelines and requirements for stability and microbiological testing, documentation and record-keeping for testing and validation, and adherence to Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) for product quality assurance.
Yasmine Boulanouar, CIRS Europe Senior Regulatory Toxicologist
Yasmine has an MS in Toxicology, risk assessment and vigilance from the Farmacy University of Paris-Saclay. She has more than ten years of experience in the cosmetics and consumer products industries, working for companies such as L'Oréal, J&J, and Bic. She specializes in toxicology and risk assessment, as well as regulatory affairs. She is based in Paris and covers the UK and European markets.
Note: You will receive emails with a link one day and 15 minutes before the webinar starts. By clicking that link, you shall be able to join our webinar automatically. Please note that space is strictly limited to a maximum of 500 attendees.
On PC: Before joining a Zoom meeting on a computer, you can download the Zoom app from Download Center. Otherwise, you will be prompted to download and install Zoom when you click a join link.
On Mobile Service: Zoom mobile app downloaded from the App store or the Google Play Store
Chemical Inspection & Regulation Service (CIRS)
Address: Regus Harcourt Centre, Dublin, Ireland, D02 HW77
TEL: +353 1 477 3710