Helsinki, 14 June 2023 – The European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) officially announced the addition of two substances of very high concern (SVHC), bringing the total number of substances on the SVHC list (also known as the Candidate List) to 235. The complete SVHC list can be accessed here.
The detailed information on the two newly added substances is as follows:
|Substance name||EC number||CAS number||Examples of use(s)|
|Diphenyl(2,4,6-trimethylbenzoyl)phosphine oxide||278-355-8||75980-60-8||Inks and toners, coating products, photo-chemicals, polymers, adhesives and sealants and fillers, putties, plasters, and modeling clay.|
|Bis(4-chlorophenyl) sulphone||201-247-9||80-07-9||Manufacture of chemicals, plastic products and rubber products.|
For products exported to the European Union that contain SVHC substances exceeding 0.1%, companies are obligated to fulfill information transmission and SCIP reporting requirements. If the export volume of SVHC substances exceeding 0.1% exceeds one ton per year, SVHC notification must also be conducted.
Corporate Responsibilities and Obligations
Companies need to be aware of their responsibilities and obligations regarding SVHC substances in their products:
- When the SVHC content in an article exceeds 0.1%, its suppliers must provide the recipient of the article with information on its safe use.
- Upon consumer request, sufficient information, including substance names and their concentrations, must be provided free of charge within 45 days.
- If the export volume exceeds one ton per year, importers and manufacturers of the article need to complete the notification to ECHA within six months from the date of exceeding the threshold.
- Starting from January 5, 2021, substances from the SVHC list present in articles at concentrations above 0.1% need to be submitted to ECHA's SCIP database.
- Substances listed in the SVHC list may be included in the Authorization List in the future, requiring companies to apply for authorization to continue their use.
If you need any assistance or have any questions, please contact us via email@example.com.