According to “Administrative Measures on Pet Food”, the Pet Food only refer to Dog Food and Cat Food. Pet food is one kind of feed, includes three categories (“Pet compound feed”, “Pet additive premixed feed”, and “Other Pet food”).
Pet food category
The definition of each category
Pet compound feed (usually refer to “complete pet food”)
Pet feed additive premix
(usually refer to “food supplements”)
Other Pet food (usually refer to “pet snacks”)
Oversea pet food manufacturers export pet compound feed or pet feed additive premix to China for the first time, should entrust its Chinese company/office or entrust a Chinese domestic agent to apply for the Registered License with MARA (Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs of the P.R.C.). Other pet food (pet snacks) is not necessary to do the registration.
To view the full Imported Pet Food compliance procedure, please click HERE.
To view the Food Registration contents, please click HERE.
Requirement of the Pet Food Recipe
Pet food is not allowed to use any substance which is not listed in “Catalogue of feed raw materials” or “Catalogue of feed additives”. When using the feed additives, the requirements of “Catalogue of feed additives” and “Safety use regulations of feed additives” should be abided by.
Requirements of Application Materials
- “Imported feed and feed additive application form” (template is listed below): should fill out the form in bilingual
- Power of attorney: the letter of oversea manufacturer entrusting Chinese domestic agent to apply for the Registered License.
- Certificate of approval of production and use in place of origin
- Physical and chemical properties of products
- Source and composition of products
- Production process
- Quality standard and the test method
- Original label, trademark, and Chinese label
- Using purpose, application scope, and using method
- Packaging material, net content of each packaging, shelf life, and storage condition
- Registered license or marketing situation of the product in other countries or regions other than the place of origin
Applicant Form for Registration of Import Feed or Feed Additives (Sample-fish meal)
Trade Name: FISHMEAL（生产地销售使用的商品名称，应与原产地标签一致）
Product Classification: Single Feed
Sensory Index: Brown Powder with Fishy Smell
Guaranteed Analysis and Hygienic Index
Usage and Dosage
Address Produced on Board at Vessel:（生产厂家英文地址）
联系电话 010-×××（固话） 138×××（手机）
Signature of Applicant Company
Signature of Domestic Agent
Requirements on Sample Quality Verification Test
After receiving the notification from MARA, company shall send 3 batches of sample and self-test report (self-test report can be also submitted together when submitting the application to MARA) to the Laboratory designated by MARA, and then the laboratory will conduct the sample quality verification test.
MARA Government affairs hall
Accept the application, if there is no missing materials
Carry out the technical review on the application materials
Within 20 workdays
Laboratory for feed quality testing designated by MARA
Carry out the sample quality verification test
Within 2 months (but usually 2 months is not enough)
Issue the “Registered License”
Within 10 workdays
Usually, after submitting the application materials, pet food will take about 4 to 6 months to obtain the “Registered License”.
- Confirm the pet food category
- Review if the feed raw material and feed additive used are allowed to use or not, meanwhile, review the use level
- If anything incorrect, provide the revision suggestions
- Confirm the pet food category
- Review the original label and Chinese label, and provide revision suggestions
- Design Chinese standard label
MARA Imported Pet Food Registration Service
- As the agent register pet food with MARA
- Arrange sample clearance and sample test
If you have any needs or questions, please contact us at email@example.com.