A greenhouse gas (GHG) inventory is defined as “an account of greenhouse gases emitted to or removed from operating procedures and societies within a defined boundary over a specified period of time by governments/enterprises.” GHGs, as defined under the Kyoto Protocol, refers to:
- carbon dioxide (CO2);
- methane (CH4);
- nitrous oxide (N2O);
- hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs);
- perfluorocarbons (PFCs);
- sulfur hexafluoride (SF6).
Since the effects caused by these GHGs are quite different, usually the global warming impact of the GHG is gathered by calculating emissions from the equivalent amount of carbon dioxide, which is known as carbon dioxide equivalence (tCO2eq).
The GHG Protocol, which is the most widely used and recognized internationally as the primary accounting tool or methodology , specifies three scopes of greenhouse gas emissions:
- Scope 1 – direct emissions from fossil fuels.
- Scope 2 – indirect emissions from electricity, heat, steam, and cooling purchased by enterprises.
- Scope 3 – indirect emissions other than those caused by energy consumption. Enterprises can make calculations based on their needs.
There are some other carbon accounting methods including:
- ISO 14064;
- the Guidelines for accounting greenhouse gas emissions in 24 major industries and the Guidelines for accounting emissions of certain priority industries published by the National Development and Reform Commission; and
- the Guidelines on Enterprises’ Greenhouse Gas Emissions Accounting and Reporting-Power Generation Facilities published by the Ministry of Ecology and Environment in 2021.
By using this service enterprises will:
- Manage the risks of GHGs, and spot opportunities;
- Make carbon disclosures to interested parties such as investors, supply chain, and end users;
- Bear social responsibilities and meet environmental, social, and governance (ESG) requirements;
- Make preparations for supporting the development of the carbon market.
- Data must be provided by enterprises (CIRS Group can help you define the boundaries and collect the data);
- CIRS Group can calculate the greenhouse gas emissions in Scope 1, 2, and 3 in accordance with the criteria;
- An inventory of visual greenhouse gas emissions will be generated.
If you have any needs or questions, please contact us at email@example.com.