The product carbon footprint (PCF) is a method for determining all GHG emissions generated through the entire life cycle of a product. There are two different accounting boundaries of product carbon footprint, the “Cradle-to-Gate” and the “Cradle-to-Grave”.
Cradle-to-Gate refers to carbon emissions from resource exploitation, processing, and manufacture into finished products while Cradle-to-Grave contains carbon emissions generated through the entire life cycle of the product such as in the distribution, use, maintenance, and disposal.
Carbon footprint certification, carbon footprint reports, and reduction of product carbon footprint have been and will continue to be gradually examined and regulated by social organizations in the international community. China is also speeding up the development and research of carbon emission standards currently adopted by the international community.
In 2015, China published the National Standardization System Construction and Development Plan (2016-2020), in which China began setting out requirements for carbon emission standards. In 2021, the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology published the Standard Conditions for the Photovoltaic Manufacturing Industry (Announcement No.5/2021) to encourage enterprises to obtain PAS 2050 and ISO 14067 carbon footprint certificates.
Benefits of using these services
- Making a carbon footprint report, will provide enterprises with a better understanding of sources of GHG emissions throughout the entire production process. This enables enterprises to formulate reasonable and economic proposals on carbon emissions in a targeted way;
- The carbon footprint report promotes communication between enterprises but also makes preparations for obtaining carbon labeling certificates such as the EPD;
- The disclosure of product carbon footprints reveals its carbon emissions in the entire production process and meets the demand for green raw materials in downstream supply. Moreover, it can improve competitiveness and recognition of products and bear social responsibilities.
- Data must be provided by enterprises (CIRS Group can help you to define the boundaries and collect the data);
- Carbon footprint will be calculated with the assistance of tools under PAS 2050 and ISO 14067;
- The carbon footprint report will be issued and submitted to a third party for verification and approval.
If you have any needs or questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.